Saturday, July 20, 2024

16th Ordinary Sunday, Year B, 21.07.2024

Jeremiah 23:1-6 / Ephesians 2:13-18 / Mark 6:30-34

There is a question about life that we wish we could answer, and yet, we can't. 

And that question is this: If we can live life all over again, would our life be different from what it is now? 

As much as we wish we could answer that question, we can only dwell on it with imagination. 

That is because we cannot go back in time and live life all over again.

But there are times when we do imagine about the “what if”question.

What if I were born into a rich family? What would my life be like now? 

What if I were more intelligent and had better qualifications? What would my profession be like now? 

What if I did not respond to God's call to the priesthood? What would I be doing in life now? 

The “what if” question brings us into the imaginary world of imaginary possibilities. 

However, it may also lead us to regret about some choices and decisions that we have made in life. 

But, snapping out of our imagination, and coming back to the reality of our situation, we ask ourselves this question. 

And the question is, what do I feel about life? Am I happy? Am I contented? What is it that I am looking for in life? 

In the gospel, when the apostles rejoined Jesus, they told Him about all they had done and taught. 

Jesus had sent them out to preach repentance, cast out demons and to cure sick. 

With the authority and power of God, they accomplished amazing signs and wonders. 

They were very much sought after by the peoples, so much so that they had no time even to eat. 

It was then that Jesus told them that they are going away to a lonely place by themselves to rest for a while. 

Besides the need for physical rest, there is something else that needs to rest. 

They need to have a spiritual rest, to rest their minds and hearts. 

They need to put to rest their excitement, their ambitions and their imaginations. 

They need to rest so that they can clear away all the distraction and people's attention, and focus on God’s mission. 

We too have our share of distractions, we look for people's attention, and we have our imagination about what we want in life. 

We too need to have a rest, so as to clear our minds and hearts. 

We too need a time to be alone with Jesus, as He shows us the meaning and the mission of our lives. 

There's this story of “The Giving Tree” (by Shel Silverstein). It is a simple story, but it tells us a lot about life as well as about ourselves.

Once there was a tree. And she loved a little boy. And every day the boy would come and he would gather her leaves, and make them into crowns and play king of the forest. 

He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches, and when he was tired, he would sleep in her shade. And the boy loved the tree very much. And the tree was happy. 

But time went by, and the boy grew older. And the tree was often alone. Then one day the boy came to the tree and the tree said: "Come, Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat apples and play in my shade and be happy. 

"I am too big to climb and play," said the boy. "I want to buy thing and have fun. I want some money. Can you give me some money?" 

"I'm sorry," said the tree, "but I have no money. I have only leaves and apples. Take my apples, Boy, and sell them in city. Then you will have money and you'll be happy." 

And so the boy climbed up the tree and gathered her apples and carried them away. And the tree was happy... 

But the boy stayed away for a long time and the tree was sad. And then one day the boy came back and the tree shook with joy, and she said: "Come Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat apples and play in my shade and be happy”. 

"I am too busy to climb trees," said the boy. "I want a house to keep me warm," he said. "I want a wife and I want children, and so I need a house. Can you give me a house?" 

"I have no house," said the tree. “The forest is my house," said the tree, "but you may cut off my branches and build a house. Then you will be happy." 

And so, the boy cut off her branches and carried them away to build a house. And the tree was happy. 

But the boy stayed away for a long time and the tree was sad. And when he came back, the tree was so happy she could hardly speak. 

"Come, Boy, " she whispered, "Come and play."   

"I am too old and sad to play,” said the boy. "I want a boat that will take me away from here. Can you give me a boat?" 

"Cut down my trunk and make a boat," said the tree. "Then you can sail away and be happy." And so the boy cut down her trunk and made a boat and sailed away. 

And the tree was happy … but not really. 

And after a long time, the boy came back again. "I am sorry, Boy, " said the tree, "but I have nothing left to give you — my apples are gone."

"My teeth are too weak for apples, " said the boy. 

"My branches are gone," said the tree. "You cannot swing on them."

"I am too old to swing on branches," said the boy. 

"My trunk is gone," said the tree. "You cannot climb."

"I am too tired to climb," said the boy. 

"I am sorry," sighed the tree. "I wish that I could give you something. . . but I have nothing left. I am just an old stump. I am sorry..." 

"I don't need very much now," said the boy, "just a quiet place to sit and rest. I am very tired." 

"Well" said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could. "Well, an old stump is good for sitting and resting. Come, Boy, sit down... and rest." And the tree was happy...

And the same can be said of the Boy; he would be happy just to sit and rest.

And that is also what Jesus is telling us today.

Let us come to Him and rest in prayer.

That is really what we need in life to be happy.