Saturday, April 15, 2023

2nd Sunday of Easter, Year A, 16.04.2023

Acts 2:42-47 / 1 Peter 1:3-9 / John 20:19-31

One of the easiest words to say is a mono syllable word that has just two letters, and that word is “No”. 

It can be said without much effort, and without having to exercise much of the mouth muscles. 

And there are many ways to say it. It can be groaned out; it can be said with teeth clenched; it can be repeated multiple times to emphasize objection or opposition; or it can be said just once, and it's meaning and message is clear enough. 

The word “No” is so much easier to say than the word “Yes”. To say “Yes”, will make us feel vulnerable, and our availability will be taken up by others. 

To say “Yes”, will require our submission as well as our obedience to our superiors or to a higher authority. 

So, the word “Yes” is a word that will have to be used with caution, as there will be implications on our availability, our vulnerability and our security.

So, the easiest word out of any situation that we don't like or that we do not want to be involved in, would be to say “No”. 

That would shut the door to any further discussion or negotiation or agreement. 

So, for Thomas, who was not with the disciples when the Risen Lord appeared to them, his response to what they said about having seen the Risen Lord is a straight and sharp “No”. 

And he showed how adamant he was when he said this: Unless I see the holes that the nails made in his hands, and can put my finger into the holes they made, and unless I can put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe. 

So, in short, it was: “No” means “No”. 

But, it was understandable why Thomas was so adamant. When he saw Jesus being nailed to the cross and died on it, it was a shocking “No” to him – “No” it can't be. 

Then after that, with no hope left in him, he decided that it was no point being with the disciples anymore, so, maybe, that was why he wasn't with the disciples when the Risen Lord first appeared to them. 

For Thomas, he was like one big tied up knot. His mind, his heart and his life were tied up like a knot, and he had only one word to say to anything and to anyone, and that word was “No”. 

But, it was to such resistance that Jesus appeared again to show compassion and mercy to Thomas. 

With love, mercy and compassion Jesus turned the “No” into a “Yes”. 

And that “Yes” from Thomas became a profound statement of faith - My Lord and my God. 

On this second Sunday of Easter, as we give thanks to God for His love, mercy and compassion, let us surrender our “No” that has tied up the many knots in our lives. 

There are the tight and hardened knots of our minds, our hearts and our lives. 

There are the tight knots of our faith and that have resulted in our disobedience to God. 

There are the tight knots in our relationships that have caused tension and friction. 

We have said “No” too many times that we are like a big “No” to God and to others. 

But Jesus came for Thomas to untie the knots of his life, and to change his “No” to a “Yes”. 

It was a resounding “Yes” from Thomas as he proclaims: My Lord and my God. 

Let us not say “No” to Jesus, but let us say “Yes” to Him in this following prayer.

O God,

Please untie the knots that are in my mind, 

my heart and my life. 

Remove the have nots ,

the can nots and the do nots

that I have in my mind,

Erase all the will nots , 

might nots 

that may find a home in my heart .

Release me from the could nots

would nots

that obstruct my life.

And most of all O God;

I ask that you remove from my mind ,

my heart and my life

all the “am nots” 

that I have allowed to hold me back , 

especially the thought,

that I am not good enough 

Amen.