Tuesday, September 25, 2018

25th Week, Ordinary Time, Wednesday, 26-09-18

Proverbs 30:5-9 / Luke 9:1-6

We may like to be rich but maybe not too rich. And of course we don't like to be too poor, although we may still be able to manage it. But of course, it won't be that comfortable.

But whether in poverty or with plenty, we won't want to be at both the extreme ends.

In reality, what we really want is that we can have enough for our needs.

In the 1st reading, that is what the writer of the book of Proverbs is saying as he asks of the Lord:

"Two things I beg of you, do not grudge me them before I die. Keep falsehood and lies far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches, grant me only my share of bread to eat."

But more than just asking God to provide enough for his needs, the writer goes on to say: "For fear that surrounded by plenty, I should fall away and say, 'The Lord - who is the Lord?', or else, in destitution, take to stealing and profane the name of the Lord."

So having too much and having nothing can have problems in that we forget that God can provide for our needs.

And that is what Jesus is telling His disciples as He send them out for the mission as He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey ... "

He wants them to experience that they will have enough for their needs because God will provide.

Yes, God will provide for our needs. When we have enough, let us give thanks to God, and when we have excess, let us also help others in their need.