Wednesday, September 4, 2013

22nd Week, Ordinary Time, Thursday, 05-09-13

Col 1:9-14 / Luke 5:1-11

Whenever I go to the hospital to visit the sick, it may not necessarily be visiting hours.

As such, I will meet the doctors and the nurses doing their rounds and duty.

And we maintain a fairly "professional" attitude; I won't interrupt them when they are with the patient and they won't interrupt me when I am praying with the patient.

In other words, I don't tell them what to do, and they don't tell me what to do either.

So we can imagine, what we heard in the gospel, the reaction of the fisherman Peter when a carpenter told him where to fish.

Skepticism from pride was brought to humiliation on his knees when Peter saw the miraculous catch of fish.

But just as Jesus did not leave Peter on his knees, Jesus will not leave us on our knees either.

He will raise us up so that we can follow Him into the deep and catch souls for Him.

So as much as we believe that God is loving and He won't punish us, there will be times when He will bring us down to our knees in order to realize that He is calling us.

Yes, He will bring us down to our knees but He won't leave us - in fact that is the moment that He is deeply loving us.