Friday, October 2, 2009

2nd October - Gurardian Angels, Friday

Ex 23:20-23
Mt 18:1-5, 10

Among the many religious items that I have is this medal of a guardian angel with wings spread wide and with hands reaching downward.

Well, I do pray to my guardian angel, whether as a devotional prayer, or whenever I am driving.

Because in one section of the Creed, we profess the existence of not only the seen but also the unseen, or what we call the spiritual world.

Yet somehow, whenever we talk about the spiritual world,  what may come to mind may be ghosts and haunted places.

Today as the Church celebrates the feast of guardian angels, we also acknowledge the existence of the spiritual world.

But it is a spiritual world of angels whom God has sent to protect and guard and guide us.

What God has assured His people Israel in the 1st reading, i.e. the protection of an angel, He also assures the Church and each of us.

This is also what Jesus is affirming in the gospel.

So let us pray daily to our guardian angels whom God has sent from above.

If you know this traditional prayer to the guardian angel, then let us pray together :
Angel of God my guardian dear
To whom His love, entrust me here,
Ever this day be at my side,
To light and guard, to rule and guide.
Amen.