Saturday, July 21, 2012

16th Ordinary Sunday, Year B, 22.07.2012


Jeremiah 23:1-6/ Ephesians 2:13-18/ Mark 6:30-34


I am sure we know what the initials “RIP” stand for.
We see these initials on tombstones and on niches – and of course we know it stands for “Rest in Peace”. (Not Rise if Possible!)


It seems that only for those who have passed, those who have died, only they are entitled to “rest in peace”.


But for the living (and that means us!), we can go around wearing T-shirts with the big letters RIP – and they would stand for “Rest if Possible”.


Well, in an urban society like Singapore, we are plagued with nothing less than busyness.


In fact, we can be so busy that RIP can also mean “ripped into pieces”.


Maybe that is why we like to go overseas for holidays. We want to get away from it all, to have some rest and some peace. (As if it is possible!)


Even when we are in the toilet (sometimes it is called the restroom), we still cannot rest in peace.


Because someone will come along and knock on the door and say things like: You are still in there? Can you hurry up?


And we can also forget about Sunday being a day of rest.


Sundays can be so filled with busyness, that we need to recuperate from Monday to Saturday.


But whatever day it might be, we are always busy, we are always “on the go”. But where are we going?


We heard in the gospel that Jesus had sent his disciples “on the go”, to go on the mission of preaching repentance and deliverance and healing.


They had been busy, and no doubt they liked it because they saw how the authority of Jesus worked in them – people repented, evil spirits were cast out, the sick were cured.


And also there was so much more to do that the disciples didn’t even have time to eat.


But they were high and they wanted to go on for more.


And that’s when Jesus jammed the brakes and told them to come away to a lonely place and rest.


Yet, the irony was that it was Jesus Himself who ended up “on the go” – He set Himself to teach the crowds.
In other words, Jesus ended up being busy.


And the so-called “rest” that He wanted for His disciples was certainly short-lived, if ever there was any at all.


So, what is it that Jesus is teaching us in the Gospel?


Is it that there will be no rest and peace all the days of our lives, until we are over and done with life?


Come to think of it, rest and peace is so elusive, isn’t it?


For example, parents will never rest from their responsibilities and they will always worry about their grown up children.


Married couples would long for some peace between each other.


Those who are sick would long for a good night’s rest without pain.


Those who have done something wrong would long for peace and reconciliation.


So we may be longing for a good rest, but we better not say we are dying to rest. (Because we might just end up in eternal rest!)


But just like that short amount of respite that Jesus and His disciples had in the boat before they reached the other side, God will also give us just enough of rest so that our hearts will have just enough of peace.


Because our God who gives us rest is also restless.


Because He cares for those who are like sheep without a shepherd.


As I reflected on the Gospel, I remembered that there was one particular weekend that was unusually taxing.


But I was also looking forward to Sunday evening because some of my friends had called me along for dinner.


So, after the evening Mass, though I was very tired, but I was relieved that the weekend is over, and I looked forward to having a good relaxing dinner.


I wanted some rest and peace, so I even switched off my handphone.


So, when I met up with my friends, I was happy and relaxed and of course very hungry.


We ordered our food and as we were tucking into the first dish, my friend’s handphone rang.


He answered the call,  and although I was busy with my food, I somehow felt he was glancing at me.


And then I heard him saying: Yes, Fr Yim is with me.


I must say my heart froze. I chilled. I suspected something coming up.


Well, to cut the story short, his relative was critically ill in hospital and his family members were trying their luck to see if he could contact me and there I was in front of him!


Needless to say, I couldn’t continue the dinner, and I have to admit that my face was like a combination of burnt toast and bitter gourd.


I had to go back to church to get dressed, get the hospital kit, and get the Blessed Sacrament.


I was angry, and I was complaining: Why? Why? Why can’t I have a quiet relaxing dinner after a long tough weekend? Why?


On my way to the hospital, I really had to pray that I would be gracious and have a heart of compassion for the sick, instead of giving them a taste of burnt toast and bitter gourd.


Anyway, when I reached the hospital, and met the family members, my heart softened because of their tears and I did whatever I could as a priest.


They were the sheep looking for the shepherd, and God sent me there.


Initially I didn’t understand why God wanted to “spoil” my evening and my dinner.


But when I got back to church, I saw that it was about 9.30pm, there was some food in the fridge which I quickly ate, and I could call it an early night because I have morning Mass the next day. 


But more importantly, my heart was at peace. 


Because I have done God’s work.


The lesson that I learnt is this: Do God’s work first, and God will take care of the rest, and I will be at peace.


Jesus and His disciples needed some rest and peace, but Jesus saw the needs of the crowds and set Himself to teach them.


So Jesus did God’s work first and God took care of His needs as well as that of His disciples.


So in all our busyness, are we doing God’s work?


And what is God’s work? When parents teach their children to pray and also pray with them, that is God’s work; when married couples pray together so that they will be in love and in communion with God, that is God’s work; when we visit the sick and pray with them, that is God’s work; when we pray with those who are troubled and burdened, that is God’s work.


When there is misunderstanding, we pray for reconciliation, and where there is conflict, we pray for peace, that is God’s work.


Or like how the gospel puts it, where the sheep is without the shepherd, there God’s work is waiting to be done.


And when we set out to do God’s work, then rest is possible, and we will also be able to rest in peace.